Recently, Stanford University released a study that suggested that organic food wasn’t healthier or safer than conventional food. Furthermore, speculation has arisen indicating that organic farming might not be safer for the planet either. That study was done in Oxford.
People tight on cash and/or worried about their health and the planet rejoiced. Some walked up to me smugly and said, “Did you hear? Organic food isn’t any better than regular food.”
Regular food? *snort* My dear- “regular” food is food that isn’t sprayed with pesticides or genetically modified. “Regular food” was designed by God and grown that way.
And that is what organic food is. Organic food is food that is grown without pesticides or genetically modified. In pre-prepared organic food, you won’t find any chemical compounds like preservatives, dyes, or artificial flavors.
But in order to refute these things, we have to have evidence. We have to analyze WHY the government and farmers continue to push the use of these inorganic compounds in our food. So let’s take a look at some studies.
1. Pesticide exposure increases the prevalence of ADHD. (This is the answer to the question “Where is all of this ‘adhd’ coming from? When I was a kid, no one had these problems!”)
Check out this study. It is published in the Journal of American Academy of Pediatrics (a peer-reviewed journal), indicating that “exposure to organophosphate pesticides, at levels common among U.S. children, may contribute to a diagnosis of ADHD.”
2. Pesticides make your kids stupid. Here is an article linked to 3 peer review studies from three different universities which indicate that prenatal exposure to pesticides (that is, to the mother during pregnancy) showed marked lowered IQ levels in children. Pesticide levels can be measured in a person’s blood and their urine if you’re curious about how studies are conducted.
3. Pesticides and genetically modified food do not solve global hunger, they cause it, because they kill bee colonies. Bees are insects, and therefore, can be killed by the same mechanisms that kill other insects. Bees are responsible for pollination, and therefore, perpetuating our food supply. Without bees, the earth would perish. This study is done by the Harvard School of Public health, indicating that the most common pesticide used on food is the cause of colony collapse. Here is an article explaining a linked study that indicates that GMO corn kills bees.
4. Food additives cause cancer and are linked to ADHD. Here is a link to the Center for Science in the Public Interest that indicates nearly all of common food additives are detrimental to your health. John Hopkins University and the American Cancer Institute link foods like nitrates and nitrites to stomach and bladder cancers. Here is a link to a study indicating that a diet high in food colorings and sodium benzoate is linked to ADHD.
5. Meat, dairy, and egg production are detrimental to the planet despite being organic, but conventional animal products are fed pesticides, antibiotics, and hormones. In fact, antibiotics in factory farming (required because of the animal abuse and filth), are responsible for super bugs, as indicated by at least one study done here and cited by the CDC. Also here is a great article with linked studies that discuss the pros and cons of antibiotics in factory farming. Here is a similar article with linked studies indicating the detriments of hormones in meat production. In my opinion, it is moot to argue that any method of organic farming would save the planet, but one could certainly argue that it is the more healthful choice compared to conventional meat.
6. GMO foods are responsible for the rise in food allergies, and can even cause allergies in people without known causation– in other words, you could eat something with a GMO and have a severe allergic reaction, and not be allergic to the organic version. This article points out that inadequate testing has not been done on GMO’s, and that certain products, especially corn and soy, can provoke food allergies. Incidents have been reported in which people who have no known allergies have had anaphylaxis caused by consuming GMO’s.
7. GMO’s (genetically modified organisms) are not the same as adaptation in nature, such as grafting plants, and the DNA of food is often spliced with oddities, such as scorpio dna and fish, or designed to make the flesh into a pesticide itself. That’s right, friends. Tomatoes spliced with fish dna- which, after they had been put on shelves, had a study conducted that showed that they caused bleeding stomachs in a 28 day rat study. Another example would be corn spliced with botulism. Apparently the harmful bacteria makes the food more hardy. Then of course, there’s this article, siting how a man successfully sued Syngenta over their BT corn- since it kills livestock. Rumor has it that this is the same type of corn being sold at Walmart.
8. Contrary to popular belief, you cannot wash off most pesticides. Here is a list of synthetic pesticides in particular that cannot be washed off.
9. Pesticides pollute the planet. After all, they are chemicals. When it rains, these same chemicals get into your drinking water and environment. Here is a link to the USGS Water Science School explaining run-off.
10. GMO companies like Monsanto are forming a monopoly that hurts farmers. Many farmers are now not allowed to save their own seeds, which is how small farming has survived for centuries. Instead they are forced to buy seed year after year. When GMO seeds float onto farmer’s land, Monsanto illegally trespasses the farms, takes samples, and then sues the farmer for copyright infringement. Because Monsanto is a Goliath, the farmers lose and their farms are shut down. Here is an example of such a case, but recently, the tables have turned.
Why does the government support the use of pesticides and GMO’s? Because they’re being paid.